Stabicad, the engineering design software for Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing (MEP) designs by Trimble, is the first software to receive a CIBSE certification for all mechanical calculations. This follows the CIBSE certification of Stabicad’s air systems and heating & cooling water systems calculations.
CIBSE is the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE), an international operating authority on building services engineering that sets standards and publishes Guidance and Codes which are internationally recognised as authoritative.
Mechanical design professionals are under mounting pressure to produce accurate designs within shorter timeframes. Using specialist MEP software like Stabicad, that comes with integrated calculations certified by CIBSE, ensures calculations’ accuracy and efficacy. This in turn contributes to the further elimination of redesign and rework.
3 Keypoints About Trimble and CIBSE
- Stabicad's CIBSE Certification: Stabicad, a Trimble engineering design software, has achieved the distinction of being the first to gain CIBSE certification for all its mechanical calculations, building on the prior year's certifications for specific systems.
- Benefits of CIBSE-Verified Calculations: Given the increasing pressure on mechanical design professionals to produce precise designs promptly, Stabicad's integrated calculations, certified by CIBSE, assure both accuracy and efficiency, reducing the potential for redesigns and rework.
- Development of CIBSE's SVA: Through a collaborative initiative between Trimble and CIBSE, the Software Verification Assessments (SVA) was established as an independent verification process, confirming that calculations by MEP design software align with CIBSE standards.
Why Are International Building Standards Important?
International building standards play a vital role in the construction and building services engineering sectors for various reasons. This concerns building and construction safety, economic efficiency as well as a new idea of sustainability and environmental protection. Did you know that the construction industry and buildings count for 50% of all carbon emissions worldwide? Furthermore, new standards make it easier to implement innovations and uphold all legal compliances of different countries. It is easier to work in different countries when the standards are relatively similar.
- Safety Assurance: Adhering to established international standards ensures that buildings and structures are safe for occupancy and use. These standards outline best practices for materials, design, and construction techniques that safeguard against potential hazards.
- Sustainability and Environmental Protection: As concerns about climate change and environmental concerns grow, building standards increasingly emphasize on sustainability. CIBSE and other organizations advocate for energy-efficient designs, promoting the use of renewable resources, and minimizing waste and environmental impact.
- Quality and Consistency: Standards always provide a benchmark for quality. By adhering to them, builders, designers, and engineers can guarantee a certain level of quality in their projects. Merseyside, Sri Lanka, Singapore, or Yorkshire – the location is not relevant when you follow an international standard.
- Economic Efficiency: Proper standards can lead to cost savings in the long run. Ensuring that buildings are energy-efficient and durable, reduces maintenance costs and energy bills for later. Moreover, the need for renovations or fixes due to subpar construction or design can be minimized.
- Innovation: As technology and methods advance, standards evolve to incorporate these innovations. This dynamic nature pushes professionals to stay updated and continuously innovate, leading to better building solutions over time.
- Interoperability and Integration: Especially in an increasingly globalized world, having international standards facilitates collaboration across borders. Standards allow different systems and parts, often from various manufacturers or developers, to integrate seamlessly.
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance: Standards often form the basis for local building codes and regulations. Adhering to them is not just a matter of best practice, but also of legal compliance. It can protect professionals against liabilities and potential legal disputes.
- Public Trust and Professionalism: Organizations like CIBSE enhance the professionalism of the building services engineering sector. By setting standards and offering certifications, they ensure that professionals have the necessary skills and knowledge, thereby instilling trust among the public and clients.
What Is the CIBSE Software Verification Assessment (SVA)?
Trimble worked closely with CIBSE to develop CIBSE’s Software Verification Assessments (SVA). This independent verification process for the quality of calculations performed by MEP design software platforms, assuring design engineers’ calculations follow CIBSE standards. To support CIBSE in developing the independent software verification process, Trimble has worked closely with other industry design software providers in CIBSE’s Society of Digital Engineering.
“We are happy to announce that Trimble is now the first in the industry to have all of its mechanical building system design modules independently certified by CIBSE,” said Carl Collins, head of Digital Engineering at CIBSE. “The CIBSE SVA process assures engineers that their calculations in software are in accordance with the CBSE guidance. Any calculation bearing the SVA logo can be trusted to perform calculations according to CIBSE methods and provide the results expected.”
Lawrence Smith, Vice President and General Manager of Trimble’s Construction Management Solutions division, added: “Trust is a critical requirement in the digital transformation of the construction industry. Independent verifications around data quality underscore Trimble’s efforts to ensure our customers’ success.”
Trimble and CIBSE – Stabicad Sets a New Standard
The advancement and recognition of Stabicad by Trimble in achieving a comprehensive CIBSE certification for all mechanical calculations mark a pivotal moment in the engineering design software landscape. It underscores the importance of international standards, like those set by CIBSE, in ensuring safety, sustainability, and efficiency in the rapidly evolving construction and building services sector. Trimble's collaborative efforts with CIBSE in establishing the Software Verification Assessments further emphasize their commitment to upholding these standards, fostering trust among professionals, and facilitating the digital transformation of the industry.
As the construction world moves forward, the embrace of these standardized verifications will undoubtedly serve as a benchmark, championing both accuracy and innovation.
About Trimble MEP
Trimble MEP delivers sophisticated solutions that transform workflows from the office to the field. The Trimble Constructible Process allows speciality trades to build beyond BIM to automate fabrication and fieldwork with reliable construction data. With access to the largest library of manufacturers' content and a broad portfolio of hardware and software solutions, Trimble optimizes the entire design, build and operate lifecycle. For more information, visit: mep.trimble.com